Content that ranks in search engines is the lifeline of any online business. To keep up with the demands of content creation, artificial intelligence (AI) content has been gaining popularity among writers, business owners, marketers, and influencers who want to publish their content on the web.
The best AI content generator tools and software have come a long way in the last few years, with some being able to emulate natural human language and style with minimal inputs. No wonder people want to continue using AI tools to speed up content creation and editing. However, should you rely on AI content for search engine optimization (SEO)?
In this blog, we’ll provide the definition of AI content and an in-depth view of the pros and cons of AI for content generation. We will also discuss how it can affect your website’s SEO rankings.
What Is AI Content?
AI content is text created for you by AI technology. An AI content generator is often powered by the latest language model, Generative Pre-trained Transformer 3 or GPT-3.
The text or content formulated by AI generators is based on a deep learning algorithm. It learns language structures to make it sound natural to human readers.
The best AI content generator tool is also trainable, meaning they can create personalized content using data and descriptions from you. Your inputs help your AI tool to learn patterns and improve over time.
There are various types of content you can generate using AI:
- Blog posts
- eCommerce landing pages
- Product descriptions
- Social media content
- Ads copy
- Email newsletters and marketing campaigns
- Promotional materials
- Customer review responder
- Other writing tasks
This automated process removes the time-consuming process of generating ideas, writing, and researching for humans.
It’s crucial to share your content almost daily to enhance search engine rankings and be visible to the target audience. You can deliver and share content faster with your target market using AI.
How To Create AI Content
People are eyeing to try AI content to achieve several goals like increasing website traffic, raising brand awareness, attracting new customers, and more. Check out these steps to see how you can create AI content:
Check Your Backlinks
Get an Instant Insight Into Who Links to Your Site
- Think about your topic, then use any AI generator of your choice.
- Input a few words, short descriptions, or prompts based on the topic you need.
- Choose a blank document or select a template based on the type of content you need.
- The AI will create a few paragraphs that you can use however you like.
- You can use grammar checkers, paraphrasing tools, and other features of an AI text generator to improve your AI content before publishing.
Adopting AI content generators has benefits and drawbacks for content writers and small businesses. We’ll discuss these and our thoughts about how they can affect your content’s SEO below.
Pros of Using an AI Content Generator for SEO
Writers who make online posts need to streamline their content creation and continue crafting engaging content that ranks on search engines. AI plays a prominent role in enhancing these tasks. Here are the benefits of using AI content:
1. Increase Content Production
Business owners and bloggers constantly create new content. Read this quick summary of what you can use as a basis for your social media marketing based on Hootsuite’s research for social media content posting in 2022.
- Instagram: 3-7 times per week
- Facebook: 1-2 times per day
- Twitter: 1-5 tweets a day
- LinkedIn: 1-5 times a day
That’s a lot of content to create daily, and it does not include website content yet.
Using AI helps because of how fast it scales your content production. You can use presets, templates, or use cases to create content with just a few clicks. This feature makes it less onerous to create content.
With AI, you can create weekly blog posts, daily social media content, and other marketing campaigns to meet the growing demand for content. You can also automate mundane writing tasks like drafting an email or sending a thank you note to a client.
Using an AI tool that automates writing tasks allows you to focus on other aspects of your business. Speeding up your content creation can help you reach your target audience and achieve your marketing goals in a shorter time.
2. Overcome Writer’s Block
Have a tough time getting past the first few paragraphs? AI content is valuable for this situation.
Writer’s block is frustrating, especially when you have to distribute your content on a schedule or meet upcoming deadlines. It’s a struggle to come up with topic after topic when creating content daily.
The best AI content generator can ensure that you avoid staring at a blank document.
If you struggle to start writing or tie ideas together, simply input some starter concepts, words or sentences into the software. You can also enter target keywords for search optimization and provide sample content for the AI to emulate.
The tool will then take your input, cross-reference it with millions of previously written data points, and generate unique, natural-sounding output. Most tools can even generate 3 to 4 options for you to choose from.
This way, you can combat your writer’s block to produce consistent content and rank for your target search queries. With AI content, your search engine optimization goals can be easier to achieve.
3. Support Multiple Languages
AI content supports writing in different languages. It’s beneficial for businesses that have customers in multiple countries.
For example, British English has slight differences from American English. If you’re selling ‘trousers’ in the UK, AI can suggest its American English counterpart. In this case, it may translate ‘trousers’ to ‘pants.’ Similarly, AI can account for spelling differences. For example, ‘colour’ in the UK versus ‘color’ in the USA.
Check Your Backlinks
Get an Instant Insight Into Who Links to Your Site
This feature may seem simple, but connecting with your audience using the words that they use can help you gain their attention and trust. Instead of rewriting content for different markets, you can use AI to adapt the same content to various regional differences.
4. Save Costs
Using AI content speeds up your writing and costs less than hiring a human writer. Some AI writing tools start at around $30 for a monthly subscription.
AI is also tireless. You can churn out a 2,000-word article or a 10,000-word user guide for the same cost if you have an unlimited word AI writer subscription. The cost for a human writer will differ drastically between those two assignments.
5. Leverage In-Built SEO Tools
An AI content generator now has SEO tools integrated into the software. These may include automatic meta titles, descriptions, formatting, and keyword research tools. Other AI tools also give you reports about your competitors for more powerful insight.
Your AI tool can also check for on-page optimization. For instance, it can review the length and quality of your generated content, the number of heading tags, target keyword frequency, and related keywords.
You might miss these things if you’re not familiar with SEO. Having an AI text generator can solve this hurdle.
6. Level-Up Your Writing
Many AI content generators include bonus tools to help you create great content. Some of these additional features may include:
- Summarizer – If you have existing content, an AI article writer software helps rewrite concise descriptions of your text.
- Paraphrase – When a content generator completes writing, t it may not be exactly what you require. Don’t worry! You can use a paraphrasing tool to change the sentence until you find what you like. You can also paraphrase existing text or articles to suit your requirements and style.
- Chrome or Word Extension – AI writing tools such as Scalenut also have extensions. These plugins can speed up your work by making AI writing tools available where you work. This could be your email, browser, or word-processing software. For example, you can ask AI to finish typing an email for you or elaborate on sentences in your essay or social media headlines.
Cons of Using an AI Content Generator for SEO
Think about what you need before jumping on the bandwagon of using AI. GPT-3, made by OpenAI, still has some weaknesses that even the OpenAI leader acknowledged.
Consider these drawbacks before using 100% AI content for your blog or business.
1. Quality Issues
Relying on AI content alone can decrease the quality of your content. Your content might sound bland and may have a lot of grammatical errors.
That’s not a good SEO practice because search engines want content that provides value to the searchers. Your content might not be indexed if you continue to deliver low-quality content.
Nobody wants content that looks spammy, so you may have to double-check the AI-written content. In the end, it’s best to prioritize quality over quantity.
2. Low Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness (E-A-T)
When you write about an industry or a niche topic, readers expect you to be an expert in them. You may add some real-life examples to your blog post or content based on your industry knowledge.
When you use an AI content generator and create a 100% AI written content, you’re not including your own opinion and your expertise.
When readers encounter a post, they’ll think, “Is this a source I can trust?” especially if they’re making decisions like purchasing a product or using a tip from a blog post.
Check Your Backlinks
Get an Instant Insight Into Who Links to Your Site
Expertise, authoritativeness, and trustworthiness are essential in search engine optimization. Google includes this concept in their search quality rater guideline.
For example, you want a medical practitioner as your online source for medical advice or health tips.
The topics don’t always require high or formal expertise. Writing detailed and informative content with personalized examples drives value for a reader. This is something that AI may not always accomplish.
3. Lacks an Understanding of Human Emotion
AI content can generate informative content. However, it still can’t copy human nuances and tones.
Although AI is improving, it doesn’t always capture your target audiences’ attention. The algorithm gathers information, but it cannot produce emotions.
The lack of emotive words when generating stories and content makes them less enticing and appealing to readers. You might even sacrifice your brand’s voice if you rely on all AI content.
Email, blog posts, customer replies, and other written content need customization based on your audience’s needs. Remember, Google prefers people-first content, and human-written content tends to rank better.
4. Absence of Creativity
Most AI content generator tools are not equipped with the storytelling capabilities that human writers have. The tools don’t have the originality that they can place in content.
Another downside of AI is how the context can be lost after a few paragraphs if you don’t lend it a helping hand. You may have to provide starting context every few paragraphs to make the results attractive to humans.
Create your content while thinking of your target market. You create blogs, infographics, videos, and other media and creative content for humans, not for machines.
5. Originality and Current Events Limitations
Content generators gather information from data and online content. It’s not yet capable of creating its own opinions or generating content based on audience needs. It may result in illogical content if you don’t correct the text.
Take note that some AI tools like Jasper completed their base training in 2019. It means it doesn’t have information about current events.
You can still use AI content since it has information about facts you may need to create your content. However, AI content isn’t the best option for writing news articles or detailed reviews for new products, but you can still feed it with new information.
How Google Views AI Content
Google won’t automatically ban AI content.
Some AI-generated content does provide value to searchers. However, Google will quickly flag other AI content that seems to be designed solely for increasing search engine rankings.
According to Google’s Search Central, examples of spam AI content are
- The content has no sense to the readers but includes SEO keywords.
- AI content published without a human checker.
- Low-quality AI content without value to the readers.
- AI content without concern for reader experience.
Tips for Using AI Content Generator for SEO
Now that you know the pros and cons of using AI, it’s time to see how you can use AI content.
You don’t have to neglect AI content because of its flaws. AI is helpful for every writer and business owner as an assistant for writing their marketing materials.
It will be problematic if your website becomes over-reliant on AI content since it can negatively impact your SEO efforts.
Check out these tips on how you can use AI content while improving your SEO:
Review the Content Manually
Once the AI generates content for your topic, double-check the following before publishing:
- Spelling or grammar – AI tools help correct overused words, missing punctuation, and other common grammar issues. However, it can make errors in sentence structure and word suggestions. Sometimes, the recommendations can completely change the meaning of a sentence.
- Writing style – AI also can’t capture human nuance. For example, an ad copy doesn’t have to be in perfect grammar. Human writers and editors can add their nuance based on how their audience speaks to connect with them better.
- Tone – Humanize your content. Ensure that the AI content matches your brand’s tone or emotion. This is critical since you know your readers best.
- Provide the right context – Ensure that the entire text ties back to the central theme you are trying to convey. When AI is done writing, review the content to ensure that paragraphs do not seem disjointed and make sense as a whole.
- Structure – It’s worth checking your headings, subheadings, and overall content structure. This ensures that your content flows correctly and is easy to read. Google also looks for appropriate headings and structure when deciding whether to rank your content.
Your industry knowledge is what makes you believable and trustworthy. Use it when adding opinions, guides, or tips for your audience. Your real-life experience and viewpoint is what add value to your content. It makes you seem reliable, and you will seem like an expert in your field.
Here are some examples:
- If you’re blogging about an issue, add relevant and valuable links from trusted sources that can support your claims.
- When writing product reviews, add images and tell a story about how you used the product.
- For ads and social media captions, incorporate human emotions, your brand’s voice, and the right personas to become effective.
Is AI Content Worth It?
An AI content generator can be hugely beneficial for executing your content strategy. These tools can drastically reduce the effort it takes to formulate first drafts by getting you past writer’s block and expanding on your thoughts. The ability to quickly write in multiple languages, styles and tones for multiple channels is a huge plus.
However, AI content is not yet sophisticated enough to be wholly relied upon. Despite advanced modeling and learning capabilities, they are still far from perfect. AI content needs human intervention to ensure that it is high-quality for SEO and readers.
Therefore, the most effective strategy is to use the above mentioned techniques and combine AI content with your expertise. This will enable you to quickly produce high-quality content that appeals to your target audience and ranks on search engines.
Ash & Pri are the founders of AshandPri.com, where they empower readers to make smart money decisions across all aspects of life.
They launched their business about blogging in late 2021 after immense success in their 30s, and then scaled it up so quickly that they started to generate a consistent income stream within the first few months.
Their expert financial tips and advice are featured on sites like MSN, GoBankingRates, Forbes, Apartment Therapy, and many others.